By: Pastor Tim
The most helpful thing I have done to nourish my joy in God has been to read the Bible as a part of my daily life. The Bible teaches that this is true. Regular reading of the Scriptures helps me to have a healthy, vital, working faith. I find that I am more content in God, more trusting in him, more ready to repent of my sins, more delighting in the cross of Christ. And I want all these things for you, my brothers and sisters at First Baptist.
Committing to a plan cramps our style. We’d rather go with the flow a little more. But we probably won’t do what’s important without a plan. And as I said above, reading the Bible is important for the health of our faith. So pick a plan, my friends.
Below are a number of plans. I put a brief description of each and included a link to get the plan for yourself. If you’d rather read on your electronic device, some of these plans are available that way. You can google for those yourself.
One more point … Any bible reading is better for you than no bible reading. So if you look at these plans and are overwhelmed by the amount of reading, know that you can break the plan into multiple years. For the plans that have multiple readings each day, pick just 1 or 2 of the columns to read this year and read the rest next year (or break it into 3 years).
Your pastors are praying that 2018 will be a prosperous year for your faith in God!
Bible Reading Plans:
- M’Cheyne Bible Reading Plan: This is the plan that Pastor Brian is using for 2018. The plan for a year directs you through reading the NT and Psalms twice, and the OT once. A reading is listed for every day of each month.
- 5x5x5 Bible Reading Plan: This plan leads you to read through the entire NT in 1 year. It does this with about 5 min/day and 5 days/week.
- Kingdom Bible Reading Plan: This is the plan that Pastor Tim is using for 2018. The plan for a year directs you through reading the Psalms twice and the rest of the Bible once. Only 25 readings are given each month so you can miss some days and still catch up by the end of the month.
- 52 Week Bible Reading Plan: This is the plan that Pastor George is using for 2018. This plan directs you through the Bible in a year, with each day of the week dedicated to a different genre: Epistles, The Law, History, Psalms, Poetry, Prophecy, and Gospels.
- Book-at-a-Time Bible Reading Plan: This plan directs you through reading the entire Bible in a year. The first reading alternates between Old and New Testament books. The Gospels are spread throughout the year. The second reading takes you through a chapter or so of the wisdom literature and Isaiah.
- Alternative: You Set the Pace: If you really don’t want to use a plan, here’s a chart to help you track what you read. As you finish a chapter, cross it off the chart so you’ll know where to read next. And then when you finish a book, pick one you haven’t yet read.